Thursday, September 9, 2010

Happy to be here.

Well, I had forgotten how London just IS.

The flight over was uneventful, but a bit bumpier than I like. I made a new friend on my flight, since Millie, my flight mate... and reason for coming to London, was upgraded to Business Class for some unknown reason. (I won't get into how insulting it is to stand at the check in counter and watch your seat mate whisked up in class while you stand there looking very happy to have been overlooked.....her fold out bed for a seat looked mighty nice as I walked past her down the aisle) But I digress. My new friend was a "lovely" 21 year old English girl who had just been in Atlanta visiting her mother. It turns out, her mother teaches French and Spanish at Paideia. Small world, non? Her mum started teaching there after my kids left but it was fun to talk about the old Jr. High building (or slum!) compared to the new digs, and the state of the new up and re-coming Mother Goose building.

We arrived to clear skies, but the dark clouds gathered as we unpacked our things. It rained on the skylight over my shower as I showered.....very cool. By the time we left for our errands, the skies had cleared and it was back to sunny and mild. We got Millie's On Street parking sticker, picked up her car and went to Whole Foods. Man. That. Is. One. Great. Whole. Foods. Three floors of produce and cheeses and breads and yummy skin lotions and soaps and ice cream and flowers and and and. Would you believe there is a make your own muesli bar? I'm sure we will hit that place again during the next week or so. I already have a list of must haves to take home.



Dinner was at Zizzi's, a great Italian place around the corner. After dinner, we had a long walk to get gelatto. I'm not sure the walk was long enough to un-do the damage done by a double scoop on a cone, but it helped us feel better about it all.

Back at the flat we had a "cuppa" (tea), then actually made it past 10:00 PM. I'm quite impressed that we stayed up and had a jam packed day. Now, off to bed............

XO - LA



No comments:

Post a Comment